Monday, January 12, 2009

Alice Cullen Scarf


I decided to make my own little pattern for the blue striped scarf that Alice Cullen wears for like a second in the Twilight movie. This appears when they're on the field trip. It's really easy and I based this original pattern on the limited views in the movie. Now I see it's a little more varied in the length of the stripes, unlike mine which I made all my stripes the same length. Oh well, close enough! Mods can be EASILY made.

Materials:
#10 1/2 US needles

1 skein of Vanna's Choice worsted weight in each of the following colors:
- Colonial Blue
- Navy
- Silver Blue
- Dusty Blue

Directions:

Cast On 30 stitches starting with Colonial Blue. The whole scarf is done in stockinette stitch(Ss).

Ss for 5", change to Navy

Ss for 5, change to Silver Blue

Ss for 5", change to Dusty Blue

Ss for 5", change back to Colonial Blue

Repeat this pattern for as long as you want the scarf to be, then Cast Off.
Mine was 85" total.

You can try blocking to prevent curling but it's hard with an acrylic yarn. Wool yarn would have more success. To prevent curling, try knitting the first and last 3 stitches on your purl rows.

NOTE! Make sure you end with the same color you stated with! (Colonial Blue)

That's it! Easy! You don't need to see the future to whip this one together!

I put two extra pics up for color reference in different light than the first one, and another of Alice!



7 comments:

Jessica said...

How cute, I love the colors. =)
I did hear there were a few super cute knitted items in the movie. Once its comes out on DVD, I do plan on putting it on my netflix

Katie Rempe said...

Thanks! Yeah it's worth a rent I think. Oh, plus Rosalie has a great scarf I'm going to work on next. Here's the pattern by an awesome Rav-er!
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/rosalie-hale-scarf

Anonymous said...

This is a really awesome scarf! I'm just wondering... will Vanna's Choice really block or would I need to get wool instead? I'd love to do it with Vanna as it's so much more affordable! Thanks for sharing this pattern!

Kater said...

It is on the hard side to block, but if I had had more time I would have done it over my blocking board and pinned it all down then blocked it with my amazing new pink steam iron. if you let it dry before taking it off and moving onto a new piece then curling should be more minimal, but you could use wool if you're wanting it super flat.

Good luck!

Melissa Monday said...

Love the bold stripes and the color choice!

Robin said...

How do you do the color changes? Your switching every 5"so "carrying" the yarn would be hard.

So cut and just weave in the ends I suppose?

I have always wondered how to do this with it looking scruffy along the edge. Suggestions?

Katie Rempe said...

Hi Robin!

I cut the yarn and changed the color for every differing color section. Carrying the yarn would be bad new bears.

Hope that helps! Good luck!