Saturday, September 24, 2011

Cowardly Lion

Roar!
  What do you do when an adult male needs a Cowardly Lion costume for a work event? You get sent a hoodie and told to get to it!

  "With pleasure!" I replied. 

  So I ordered up 3 skeins of 100% polyester yarn from Dick Blick for it's sticky quality, making the lion mane more of a single entity instead of individual strands. 

  Want to make your own? Easy! 

  Cut a million pieces of yarn 12" long and sew them in half along the edge of the hood of a hoodie. Then, cut a million more pieces of yarn 10" long and do 2 more rows behind the original row about 3/4" away. I then did 2 more short rows down the crown, between the seams if you your hoodie has them like mine (see image 1). I also did a row of 10" long pieces around the arm cuffs.

  Next you need some ears. I got a fluffy, almost felted, fabric that was a near exact match to the hoodie color. For the ears I drew out a rough ear shape and cut 4 (see image 2). Sew two together on the curve but not the flat bottom, then turn them right sides out. I also opted to fold the ear in half and sew a small (about 1/2") dart in the fold so that it would curl like a real ear (see image 3). Then hand sew the ear onto the hood! I placed mine at an angle going from the longer middle mane rows to the side (see image 4 & picture 4, which is the hoodie front).

  Next is the tail. Using the same fabric as the ears, cut a 5" wide by however long (mine was 42") and sew it with right sides together, leaving one small end open to turn the tail right-side out. Use Fiberfill to stuff the tail. I also inserted wire from Home Depot that came from the electric section that was sold by the foot. It was about .40 cents/foot and I got 4 feet so I could bend it in half to have a double sturdiness once inserted into the tail. Now you can curve it and it will stay! I don't remember what the name of the wire was, only that the guy said it had the most resistance and it was dark gray/blackish in color. 

  I was also in charge of making a way to attach the tail to a belt or belt loops. So, before I sewed the top of the tail closed I also put in a length of bias tape I had on hand so he could tie it to the back belt loop. (see picture5)


4 5



Tada! Finished and so cute. They also bought the Cowardly Lion Pendant which he gets from the Wizard to add to it once it gets sent back.
 
UPDATE
Pictures from Fred, my commissioner of this costume. He looks GRRRREAT!


No comments: