Thursday, September 22, 2011

Smurf Hat

  Well it wasn't SUPPOSED to be a smurf hat, but after a comment my roommate made...well she was spot on. Just look at it! I had to make it in white lol.

  The REAL name of the project is The Slouch Hat by Diane Serviss and is $5 through Ravelry. It seems like an easy pattern because it's all just garter stitch, but when you review the pattern skills you see that it's really a great project to build your skills! For this hat you need to know how to do Provisional Cast On, Kitchener Stitch, and Short Rows! Don't worry! YouTube is full of videos showing you how to do all those things.

  The yarn I used was by Misti Alpaca called Chunky Solids. It is SO SOFT but sheds like crazy! My black coat is now kind of gray. But whatever because my head and ears are always 100% warm!

  I ended up making mine longer because I thought my first attempt with the recommended CO wasn't going to make it slouchy enough in the back. Thus I OVER compensated and had to brim the front quite a bit for the hat not to be hanging halfway down my back, lol. At least all my hair would fit into it if need be! Anyway, it's still cute and warm and soft so it just ended up being a 'design detail'.

No comments: